Beekeeping Course - The Building Blocks To Beekeeping
Beekeeping Courses / 302 views / Featured
The Building Blocks To Beekeeping
The Building Blocks To Beekeeping course takes place in the Johannesburg area. The cost of the course is R1500 with an extra R100 should you hire a bee suit for the practical. Below is a copy of what we cover over the two day beekeeping course, the first in the comfort of a classroom and the second out in the fields with the bees. This bee course will give a very good grounding helping you understand what beekeeping is all about. The risks and rewards associated with beekeeping are explained in simple terms and you may ask as many questions needed so as to understand.
Day 1 of Bee Training
The main points covered are:
- The history of beekeeping.
- Understand more about the products that bees produce; Honey, Wax and propolis
- The Importance of pollination to our farming communities
- Bee classification.
- Life in a honey bee colony.
- Activities in the hive
- Bee caste’s
- Starting beekeeping.
- The outfit and equipment
- First bees
- Dangers and safety
- The hazards and management of hives.
- Working through all the bee tools.
- Looking and understanding the makeup of hives and catch box’s
- Pests and diseases.
- Bee organisations, beekeeping legislation and registration as a beekeeper with DALRRD.
- A handout covering all the above is given out which you can write all over for later reference.
- Uncapping of honey frames and spinning out the honey.
- If honey can be harvested from the hives a practical will be given on preparing the frames for the extractor and extracting the honey.
Day 2 of Bee Training
- Hands on practical training session at an apiary.
- Working through a hive with all the elements being talked through.
- Each student will get the chance to work on a hive.
- Smoking a hive correctly (Most important) Opening a hive, looking at the makeup of frames (honey, pollen and brood), see the difference between a worker bee cell, drone cell and if present a queen cell.
- General tips on working a hive.
Beekeeping Course Details
If you have protective clothing this must come with you as well as gum boots/boots on the practical day. Protective clothing can be hired on the day for R100 per set (No boots).
The course is presented by Kai Hichert who is the ex-chairman of the Southerns Bee Association, website www.beekeepers.co.za, he is also on the board of SABIO. The theory course will be held in Paulshof, Johannesburg and the practical site will be at an apiary in Johannesburg.
The cost of the Course is R1500 for the two days and includes your lunch and tea’s/coffee’s. Banking account details to be given on sign-up.
There is a course handout covering the above as well a certificate.