Bee Pollen Substitute – Bhive Brood Boost
Bee Pollen Substitute designed and formulated for South African bees to supplement honeybees’ diet in times of dearth. Our products are not designed as a substitute for food sources for bees when natural products from our diversity of flora is available for the bees. In fact, the bees will not use our product if there are natural sources of nectar and pollen available in their foraging zones.
Whilst the guidelines below are there to advise on Bee Pollen Substitute quantities to use and duration periods of supplementary feeding, we also advise you to experiment with the initial quantities you feed to your bees. So for instance, initially place a kilogram of Pollen Substitute in a feeder in the apiary site and then assess the time the bees take to consume the whole product. The bees may take some time to find the source of supplementary food, but once they do, they will continue to utilize the food. However, we also recommend not to over feed the bees over a sustained period.
Use your discretion and learn to manage your bees’ nutritional requirements. This will then become an added and valuable understanding of your beekeeping knowledge and experience.
Bee Pollen Substitute Features
- Ideally keep in dry powder form and feed to bees in open apiary site. This product is not suitable to be mixed with sugar syrup and fed in a solid form as it can become too hard for the bees to ingest. (Some beekeepers, however, prefer to make patties which are placed inside the beehive. Experiment if you so wish.)
- Note, however, that if fed in solid form with sugar syrup it may encourage small hive beetle infestation and larvae growth as this insect thrives on this form of food.
- Taking an average pollen consumption per beehive per year = 60 kg’s
- Monthly consumption per beehive (on average) = 5 kg’s
- Depending upon number of beehives in your apiary site, we again recommend you experiment by putting out half a kilogram of pollen feed per beehive per day. Allow the bees to use up all feed before replenishing. Feed over a three-day period and then break for two days. Assess the consumption rate and do not over-feed.
- Advisory: Again, feed bees over an initial 4-week period with pollen substitute and then assess condition and strengths.
Method of Feeding: The best method of feeding the bees with protein supplements is in an open powder form. Place the dry pollen powder in an open container. The bees will roll in the powder, attaching it to their pollen sacs and fly back to the beehive. It’s an interesting phenomenon to observe.
- Once your payment reflects in our account, we get your order ready for the courier within 48 hours.
- When your order is dispatched we’ll send you a tracking number.
- After the courier has your package, delivery takes place within 5 working days*.
*Working days exclude weekends and public holidays.